In the ideal world, a happily-ever-after is the natural outcome of a relationship. But unfortunately, we don’t live in an ideal world. In our world, things go wrong, bad things happen to good people, and the path to great relationship is often slippery. So, did you slip on that path and got caught up in an unwanted relationship? Maybe you never wanted to do that, but nevertheless it happened. And your partner fount out.
You cannot change the past, but what you do in the future will have a tremendous impact on what you and your partner decide. If you want your relationship with your partner to continue, you need to put in hard work. Remember, time does heal everything but when it comes to the heart, the path to healing is rather slow and long.
Following are 10 ways in which you regain your partner’s trust:
- Have an open communication: This is one of the hardest things to do. However, it is also one of the most important steps to take in re-building your relationship. Remember, when talking to your partner, you are not trying to ‘justify’ your actions. You need to talk about the situation and how one thing led to another and how you want to mend it.
- Be sensitive to your partner’s emotion: Cheating is not an easy thing to deal with. Your partner will be upset. Give him/ her the chance to vent all feelings. It might include crying, asking a lot of questions, and throwing angry insults. Just be there and apologize. Be compassionate and empathetic.
- Keep promises: Which means sticking to your words no matter how small the commitment. If you say you will call, make that call. If you say you will be home early, you should.
- Take full responsibility: Analyze why you did what you did and own up to your behavior. Also, understand what you should do to avoid making similar mistakes in the future.
- Make an effort every day: When your partner is healing from a heartbreak, make every day count. Your effort to mend the relationship should be a continuous process.
- Appreciate: Appreciating means you are noticing your partner—what he/ she does or how he/ she dresses. However, be genuine and do not overdo things to the point when it might sound insincere or when it might seem like you are trying to bribe.
- Accept the setbacks: It is going to be a bumpy ride ahead. One day you might be hopeful and then the very next day might seem that there is no hope. Stay put.
- Give it some time: Like we said before, it is going to take time. Be patient.
- Check your behavior: Stay away from doing anything that might arouse a suspicion. Remember, this is a very delicate phase and you need to be extra careful.
- Try to make your partner happy: Do the little things that your partner loves. Don’t miss an opportunity to how that you care.
Rebuilding a relationship is a team game and you need to be together in it. Not all such situations lead to divorces. Sometimes, a rough patch might help you emerge stronger. All you need is the right approach.
Articles you may enjoy: