Ever tried finding out the ingredients that go into each bottle of facial cleanser that you buy from the market? Well, I did just yesterday. And the effect was, well, very overwhelming to say the least. It turned out that apart from water and glycerin I had absolutely no clue about the things mentioned there. The list was a pretty long one and included such things as Coco-Glucoside, Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Peg-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine and Glyceryl OleateVitis Vinifera to name just a few. Phew! I could momentarily travel back to the chemistry lab from my school days.
Although I have nothing against the readily available beauty products available out there, I love using things that I can easily get in my kitchen. I find a certain comfort in such words as flour, cornmeal, yogurt, milk, honey and so on. And contrary to popular belief, home-made beauty recipes do not necessarily involve more hassles or time. If still in doubt, just take a look at the following list of cleansers you can easily make in the comfort of your home.
- Flour or gram flour mixed with milk: Simply mix the flour with milk to form a paste that is neither too thick nor runny. Now apply this on your face. Wait for a few minutes and wash off. If you do not have milk try using water instead. However, do not let it dry too much and apply in such a way that you don’t put it on your hair or eyebrow. Else you might have problem removing it. However, you should be fine if you are using gram flour.
- Gram flour, plain yogurt and fresh lemon: Mix the gram flour and yogurt. Then squeeze the lemon into it. Now apply it on your face, neck and hands if your wish. Allow it to dry and wash off. Use can even use it before taking a shower.
- Cold milk and salt: Mix ½ cup cold milk with ½ tsp. salt. Mix these well. Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and dab it on your face and neck. Allow it to stand for 2 to 3 minutes. Then remove with a damp tepid cloth. Wash your face and neck with tepid water.
- Honey and Milk: Take 2 tbsp. each of milk and honey and mix well. Leave it for 10 mins and wash off. Both milk and honey are excellent for dry skin.
- Honey, whole milk, almond oil: Mix 2 tsp. of honey with ¼ cup of whole milk and 2 tsps. of almond oil. Apply on your face and neck in an upward circular motion. Wait for a few minutes before washing it off.
- Sugar, milk powder, almond meal, warm water: First mix all the dry ingredients and then add warm water to form a paste. Apply it on face and neck, let it dry and then wash off.
- Almond, cream, lime juice: Mix 2 tbsps. of finely grounded almonds with 1 tbsp. milk and 1 tsp. lime juice. Apply it on your face and massage using light circular motions. Wash off first with warm water and then cold water.
The basic steps in regular skin care have remained the same through ages. And it still involves cleansing, toning and moisturizing. Try out the first step at home and you will be amazed by the results. And that extra glow comes from the satisfaction in knowing that you have just created something that is pure and yet simple all by yourself.