Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, I will get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through any of my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more info.
This article was written by Tania Bhattacharya on behalf of Sherley Altidor.
Congrats buddy, if you are thinking about that question now, you are probably going through one of the most awesome phases in your life. Reminds me of the series of events that finally led to my marriage in 2010. But no personal digressions here, let’s talk only about you.
In case you find yourself in a state of elation and are wondering why that is, let me tell you, it is the benevolent mixture of magic and science in equal proportions. Yes. Well, to be honest, you can still keep the ingredients but rearrange the proportions because I am not quite sure how much of each goes into the making of the ‘I am so happy’ state. The magic is definitely Cupid working his way through that special someone. As far as science goes, it is dopamine.
Scientists think that love activates the release of a group of neurotransmitters that are responsible for the racing hearts, sweaty palms, and flushed skin during the first stages of falling in love. Researchers find these Cupid’s chemicals as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. Just so you know, dopamine is also activated by cocaine and nicotine! That explains how you feel and why.
Now let us come to the part of the story where you are trying to find out if you are in love. Many believe that a few unmistakable signs of being in love:
- You love to think about and talk to that special person. In fact, even when you are not talking to each other you are thinking about the conversation. Your friends and family might even get a little tired listening to the same thing over and over, although it seems to be so exciting and brand new to you. A fair chance is they already know you are in love, even before you realize it yourself.
- You would like to spend every waking hour of the day with him or her. You don’t mind giving up a few hours of sleep if that means more time spent over the phone or through texts.
- You can talk for ages. You don’t even have to think about it. One topic just leads to another and another.
- You check your cell-phone every other second for a missed call or a text message.
- And then I have my personal favorite, which is, you will know
This love-struck phase, albeit beautiful, cannot last forever. When you find the perfect partner, this will mature into deeper attachments and commitments that keep couples together even after years. Ask the scientists and they will tell you it is oxytocin and vasopressin at work.